Friday, September 12, 2008

:: It's so swell ::

Oh finally I have a break... Yahooo.. I was clanking my keyboard since 10am. Clearing my files... Updating the attendances in between of escorting. Today is payday so I am working hard.. Not really. It's my duty day so I clear all my files on this day so that I can relax on the rest of the four days..

Well, what to talk about today?? Swelling. I tot pregnant women all swell. Just that some swell more than the other. I didn't swell that much though but what I didn't know was that the swelling is painful.. I am talking about water retention here.. My wrist hurts more and more each day.. It so bad, typing hurts, writing is painful, tying my hair is almost impossible and shampooing is almost unbearable.. It is that bad and I am not exaggerating. I have a high threshold of pain and yet I cannot tahan.. So I did research..

What is swelling ??

Swelling during pregnancy is quite common. In fact most if not all pregnant women will experience swelling during some part of their pregnancy. Some women tend to swell more than others.

During pregnancy your body will produce roughly 50% more blood and fluids than normal to accommodate your growing baby. This can contribute to swelling and bloating, but is important to help nourish and protect your baby. During pregnancy hormone fluctuations can also contribute to edema, which involves swelling of the hands, face, ankles, neck and other extremities.

Water retention during pregnancy helps keep our bodies flexible, allowing ample room for expansion during pregnancy. The extra fluid contained in the tissues and muscles of the body also help our joints prepare for labor and delivery. Water retention can contribute up to 25% of the weight gain women experience during pregnancy.

What Increases Swelling During Pregnancy
There are certain lifestyle habits that can contribute to swelling during pregnancy. Most women notice that swelling generally increases sometime during the second and third trimesters. Common causes of increased swelling include:

*Hot or humid conditions which can contribute to water retention.
*Not drinking enough water, which can trigger the body to retain fluid.
*Standing for long periods of time, which can cause the lower extremities to swell.
*Over consumption of diuretic foods like caffeine.
*High sodium intake from processed foods during the day.

The Dangers of Swelling
Swelling or normal edema of pregnancy is not dangerous. If however you suddenly begin to swell well into your second trimester, particularly in your hands and face, you may be developing preeclampsia. This is a serious condition that can be life threatening for the mother and baby. Preeclampsia typically results in high blood pressure during pregnancy. As your blood pressure increases your body retains more fluid and excretes protein into the urine. Some refer to this condition as pregnancy induced hypertension.


While most swelling is not the result of preeclampsia, it is important you contact your health care provider if you experience sudden swelling of the face and hands that results in more than a pound or two of weight gain in a short period of time. High blood pressure, bad headaches and seeing spots in front of the eyes are all other symptoms that you may have developed this condition. Your doctor can take prompt action to ensure your safety and that of your baby.


Treating Ordinary Swelling During Pregnancy
Normal pregnancy induced edema is treated many different ways. The best thing you can do to minimize swelling is drink plenty of fluids and eat foods low in sodium and high in potassium. Here are some other steps to take to help minimize swelling during pregnancy:

*Keep moving throughout the day. If you have to stand for long periods, shift your weight between your legs and stretch your legs periodically.
*Wear support hose to help promote circulation in your legs.
*Exercise regularly if possible.
*When sitting or resting, elevate your feet and legs to reduce swelling.
*Avoid wearing clothes that are too tight or uncomfortable.
*Wear flats if possible.
*Drink plenty of water throughout the day to help reduce water retention.
*Pregnancy massage may also help relieve some of the swelling associated with pregnancy, not to mention it feels great and helps you relax! What better an excuse to pamper yourself for a day or so.

Remember, while swelling is a normal part of pregnancy, there are plenty of steps you can take to minimize your discomfort and ensure the health and well being of your baby.

Source : http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/preg_swelling_during.htm

I always thought to reduce water retention, you drink less water.. yalah too much water so don't drink water, that way the water will somehow get used up. Make sense right but it is actually the other way round.. To reduce water retention, you need to drink a lot of water.

So because of that I won't be fasting these three days to monitor myself. I shall stuff myself with lots and lots of water. I was a bit reluctant not to fast coz I feel like it is such a waste that I have the opportunity yet I couldn't make use of it.. But Ayie felt otherwise. He said that my health is more important. Well I think he is right here as I do not want my wrist to deteoriate further.

Anyway Ayie went to JB yesterday afternoon to pump petrol, get a massage and get me food from my favourite bazaar at Larkin Stadium. He bought me chendol, Ayam percik, satar, roti john and dhal vadai.. He said he was all prepared to answer the ICA officer should he need to throw the food.. He said , he would tell the officer that his wife is pregnant and she is craving for this food. And if the ICA officer still do not want to relent he wanna say, later when your wife or daughter pregnant then you will understand my position.. Cheh.. Padahal, the food is more for him.. I only want chendol and ayam percik and murtabak which he forget.. The chendol is just RM1.50 and yet they taste so much better than the SGD2.50 Chendol we bought at Bussorah Street..

I buka all alone at SIM yesterday.. Sad Sad.. Sit alone and eat my cold and stucked seafood horfun. I ordered too early lah..

Anyway, baby is now about 2.7kg.. Big hor.. So fast.. Last month was 1.5kg and now all grown up.. He is a bit bigger than average so I am expected a chubby 3 plus kg baby next month.. It's my 35 weeks today.. Fuyoo.. Coming nearer.. I shall blog about my checkup another day lah..

Anyway, I might give my convocation a miss. Why?? It is on the 16 October and I might popped or almost pop. I shall call SIM and ask them if they have convocation for Honours next year, if they have, I'll just go next year lah.. If not, I go take the gown and mortar board and get some pictures.. Lagi senang..

Presentation for my final thesis would be on the 23 Oct. Yes.. During my confinement. I'll get Ayie to go with me. Just wanna get over with that 20 mins presentation done.. I pray hard, everything would be okie..

Oh I wanna eat Briyani Dam for buka.. Tak malu eh.. Tak puasa nak buka.. But I haven't eat or drink since morning tau.. So that means I still fasting nie.. Now time to nap...